Monday, January 12, 2015

Chandler McMillan's Blog Link


Disney has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. I was raised dressing up like the Disney princesses, singing renowned Disney film scores in the shower, and bonded with some of my best friends over Disney. Though I am nostalgic when it comes it Disney and have a great love for the childhood memories it brought me, as I grew older I began to pick up on some of the gender and racial stereotypes that were prevalent in Disney films. As I became aware of these somewhat negative stereotypes, I wondered to myself, what is it about Disney that makes me love despite it's somewhat negative messages? Though I am curious to learn these things, I still feel that DISNEY=LIFE and that the world would not be nearly as interesting as it is without Disney's presence!!!!! And I definitely will ensure that my kids grow up singing "Hakuna Matata" and dressing up in Disney onesies :)

Continuing on with my love for Disney, concerning my favorite character, I would have to say that's an impossible question to answer because my favorite character probably changes on a weekly basis! :) However, at the moment, my favorite character is Phil from Hercules. He's the hilarious satyr that accompanies Hercules on his journey to becoming a God again! He never ceases to put Hercules in his place when he's being stupid and whips Hercules into incredible shape! Plus, who doesn't love the last scene of Hercules where Phil, who's been looking to be known for training an accomplished, legendary hero, hears the audience saying about Hercules, "Hey, thats Phil's boy!," and he cries tears of pride! SO cute!


Anyways, besides talking about how awesome Disney is and things that I love/can do without in Disney movies, I endeavor to learn in Decoding Disney what designates a classic a "classic," why is it that everyone wants their kids to be immersed and aware of the Disney culture, and the evolution of Disney from its creation till now. While I am familiar with the numerous Disney movies, I am unfamiliar with the history of Disney, the corporations that Disney owns, and the persons of Walt Disney. I hope to learn more about this through Decoding Disney and have a great year!!!! 


Peace Love Disney :))))



Chandler McMillan


No comments:

Post a Comment